Thursday, May 03, 2007

Self-demastery

I have done something drastic: I've changed my blogonym. You will notice that the bottom of this post does not say "Posted by Master Fob." Instead it says "Posted by Mr. Fob." The choice is yours: you may continue to read "Mr." mentally as "Master," as I think that's a valid abbreviation, or you may read it as "Mister." You may also call me Fob (though that's always a bit disconcerting to me, because Fob is many things but I've never thought of it as a personal name, all by itself) or you may call me Fobby, or you may call me Ben. You may also call me Sexy, but only if you really mean it.

Master Fob just feels so presumptuous and self-aggrandizing to me, and I don't feel like being presumptuous and self-aggrandizing today.

15 comments:

Melyngoch said...

I'm going to call you Lord High Fob. You can't stop me.

B.G. Christensen said...

As long as it's you who's doing the aggrandizing, not me.

Th. said...

.

Hey! Look at me! I'm a trendsetter!

John said...

I shall call you Sexy Ole Ben....I'll abbreviate it if I'm in a Hurry. *sob*

John said...

Strike that. I realised abbreviating it would make it S.O.B.
My, this is awkward.

Th. said...

.

Hey....Mr F.....

Have you seen Arrested Development?

Abelard Enigma said...

Can I call you Grand Master Poobah Fob? Although, Fobby works for me too.

B.G. Christensen said...

Abelard--
Queen Zippergut, who is more or less the one who named me Master Fob, has also referred to me on several occasions as the Grand Poobah, so there's precedent.

Th.--
No. Should I have?

Samantha said...

I want to call you Mister Master for no other reason than that it's alliterative. I love words...

I thought about Sexy Fobby--but I just can't say that one with conviction. I'll keep practicing, though.

Tolkien Boy said...

Funny, though, because "master" was usually meant to mean a young male child of the household, only switched to "mister" when he achieved adult status.

So, you might be doing some more aggrandizing without even realizing it.

It's funny in a cosmic sort of way.

B.G. Christensen said...

Ah. But it's only aggrandizing if you read "Mr." as "Mister." Therein lies my genius. (Now that's self-aggrandizement.)

Katria said...

You'll always be Master Fob to me. Sorry.

Th. said...

.

Yes, because it's smart and funny and, well, good. Also: Mr F!

JB said...

I actually really like the name Master Fob and don't see why you need to downgrade. It's not like you're calling yourself "Lord High Fob" or anything, right? ;)

Petra said...

Are you saying you are no longer the master of your domain?