Friday, May 25, 2007

Course Selection by Popular Consensus

The FLAS grant I've received for next year requires that each quarter I take a 5-credit course in Spanish language and another 5-credit course in West European Studies. This latter requirement can be pretty broadly interpreted, I believe, to include history, geography, political science, or just about anything else relating to West Europe. Considering that this is my chance to sneak in some courses I might take if I had the opportunity to get as many degrees as my heart desires, I'm having a hard time choosing just one. Which is why I need your help. Please vote on the following:

DRAMA 377 History of Medieval and Renaissance Theatre (5) Johnson
Survey of the rise of theatre from the early liturgical drama through the High Middle Ages to the Reformation and the great flowering of secular drama in Elizabethan England and the Golden Age of Spain. Prerequisite: DRAMA 302.

Pros: Will go along nicely with the Spanish Drama 1600-1635 class I'm taking for the Spanish requirement.
Cons: I haven't taken the prerequisite--though I imagine I could finagle my way in with my English degree and previous coursework in drama studies--and I'm not positive this will count for the FLAS requirement--which means I'll have to check with my adviser before registering. Easily solved, I know, but a con nonetheless.

C LIT 320 Studies in European Literature/Literary Modernism (5) Staten
Various modern authors, from Wordsworth to the present, in relation to such major thinkers as Kant, Hegel, Darwin, Marx, Nietzsche, Bergson, and Wittgenstein, who have helped create the context and the content of modern literature.

Pros: It's comparative literature, which I not-so-secretly lust after. Also, it's a literature course, which lies nicely in my comfort zone.
Cons: It's modernism, which I haven't been a big fan of in the past. Also, even though it's comp lit, it's cross-listed as an English course, and I feel a little silly using a FLAS grant to take an English course after I already have two degrees in English. And I'm not positive it counts.

EURO 403 Modern European Migration, Integration, and Citizenship (5) Mitchell
Offers a theoretical and empirical understanding of migration processes and patterns in Europe, with a focus on Muslim immigration in the post WWII period. Analyzes the impact of European Union mandates, globalization processes, and international, national, and urban policies on Muslim immigrant rights and identity formation. Offered jointly with GEOG 403.

Pros: Very much out of my comfort zone, as far as the kinds of courses I've taken before. The thought of learning about an area totally new to me is exciting. Also, I'm positive it counts for the FLAS requirements because it's offered by the West European Studies department.
Cons: Very much out of my comfort zone, as far as the kinds of courses I've taken before.

8 comments:

Th. said...

.

I'm sorry to say none of these strikes me as a real standout. Good, but not wowza.

Craig said...

Take the Euro 403. Sounds amazingly interesting and relevant. I'd take it if I could, if that helps you decide.

Christian said...

I'm with Theric. As I was reading the list, I couldn't help but ask myself, Is this it? Blech.

I guess that if I had to choose, I would vote for the Drama 377.

B.G. Christensen said...

Well, then I guess Drama 377 is out.

playasinmar said...

vmsI'd go for whichever is the most relevant in real life. I guess that's EURO403.

Europe has a rich history of theatrical drama, though. Maybe you could incorporate some of the things you pick-up in DRAMA377 to make your personal life drama more, um... dramatic.

ecogrrl said...

If I recall correctly, people love or hate Staten, so I might go with one of the other two in case you don't like his teaching style. I'm not 100% sure that I'm right here, though.

Tolkien Boy said...

Comparative Literature needs to seriously consider changing its acronym.

I mean, really.

Rebecca said...

Is it too late to vote? I think the EURO 403 sounds either REALLY interesting or mind-numbingly dull. Depends. I vote for that one because of its relevance, and against it because of the potential dullness.

So I will also vote for DRAMA 377, because I majored in theatre and it is COOL. But I will also vote against that one because I thought the theatre from that period was BOOOOORING (that's in a little bit of a sing-songy tone).