Thursday, June 14, 2007

Spare Any Change?
A Linear Collage of Scattered Thoughts

I wrote “Getting Out” as a somewhat naive twenty-four-year-old. Now I return, in theory a wise and mature twenty-five-year-old. Inevitably, I’ll find whatever I write here equally naive a year from now. I don’t know whether this is a function of being young, human, or simply me.

--Ben Christensen, 2005


It's wonderful, Ben, to see you wrestling with these fundamental questions of librarianship, to see you stewing over them in your head. What we're looking for in a supervisor, though, is someone who's already asked the questions and then settled on some answers. We need someone who can say with confidence, "This is what needs to happen!"

--Library Division Manager, 2005


Today my opponent continued his pattern of twisting in the wind. He apparently woke up this morning and has now decided, no, we should not have invaded Iraq, after just last month saying he would have voted for force even knowing everything we know today.

--George W. Bush, 2004


Anything that's not growing is dead, so we better be changing. You know, people say to me, "She's changing. The money's changing her." I say, "The money's not changing me, I'm changing because that's a natural part of life." We're all supposed to change. Who wakes up and is the same way tomorrow, and the day after that? Nobody is!

--Lauryn Hill, 2001


Keep Changing.

--L The Ardent Mormon, 2006


The ability to change our minds is what makes us human.

--Therapist, 2007

10 comments:

playasinmar said...

Will there be another chapter in the Getting Out/Staying In saga?

Th. said...

.

That's a pretty color, but this is impossible to read.

B.G. Christensen said...

Playa--I don't know. Not yet.

Th.--Which part is impossible to read? I find the red text of the hyperlinks annoying myself, so I think I'll change those, but I have no problem reading the black text on my monitor.

Katria said...

"There's an old saying: 'Don't change anything... ever.' " -Adrian Monk (USA's Monk, obviously.)

The opportunity was too perfect. Sorry.

Melyngoch said...

I can't believe you didn't quote me at all.

B.G. Christensen said...

I changed your mom.

--Melyngoch, 2007

Tina said...

I like the new look!

Spencer Ellsworth said...

hello Ben! thanks for the comment. my short story appeared in the same issue of Dialogue as "Getting Out/Staying In"--we have other, darker connections, but they involve forbidden bloodlines and gypsy curses, and I can't tell you until the day you turn thirty.

Nice blog.

B.G. Christensen said...

Well then, now I have something to look forward to.

-L- said...

I love it when you quote me. Or link me. Or anything me. And so, since I know you love comments, I will throw one out here that says virtually nothing. Just reciprocates the love.