Thursday, June 28, 2007

Seneca Strength

Since I decided to blog about each of my siblings last month I've been thinking of what I would say about each of them, and as I knew SenecaSis's birthday was coming up I was particularly thinking of what I would say about her. And then this morning I looked at the date and realized I've missed her birthday by three days. Sorry, Sis, my mind has been elsewhere the past couple weeks. I hope you had a great day.

SenecaSis is so named because she, like my second-oldest sister, Lika, is secretly my half-sister. Well, actually, the secret is that we're related at all, because most people don't see the resemblance between my white skin, blond hair, and blue eyes and SenecaSis and Lika's brown skin, dark brown hair, and brown eyes. My mom's first husband--my sisters' dad--is a full-blooded Seneca Indian. (And, by the way, has a healthy sense of humor that his daughters have inherited, which is why I don't mind being so politically incorrect in those links. Oh, and for real info on the Seneca Nation, click here.)

When I think of SenecaSis I think of strength. She has been through a lot in her life--some of which I don't even know about--and through it all she has shown how strong she is. I have seen her stand up and defend not only herself, but also the people she loves on many occasions. Like me, SenecaSis seems to experience a sense of indignant rage at the sight of injustice, but unlike me she doesn't let fear of confrontation get in the way of doing something about it. I appreciate my big sister's example of strength in the face of adversity, as that kind of courage is often something I lack.

1 comment:

SenecaSis said...

If you'd--or any one else--had asked me to describe a trait that I have, "strength" is not one that would have jumped first--or second or, or more--into my mind.

But every once in a while--especially when my life is going well, for a change--I do look at what I've been through to get to that point; and I recognize that I got there somehow: whether it be strength or stubbornness. And, yes, I give my self a little pat on the back.

That pat on the back, however, means so much more when it comes from someone else. Especially, when it comes from someone who I admire for the inner strength that they have.

Thanks, Bro. You're comments are a wonderful birthday gift.