Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Going to Seattle... For Sure This Time

(But maybe don't update your address book until our stuff is in the moving van.)

Here's the story, some of which has been told here as it happened:
  1. Have worked at Job #1 for three years. Love it.
  2. Realized about a year ago that if I ever wanted to advance in my career, it was not going to happen at Job #1.
  3. Decided to pursue further education in order to advance in my career elsewhere.
  4. Applied to and was accepted to University of Washington's Master's of Library and Information Science program.
  5. Got Job #2, which complemented Job #1 nicely, and decided that maybe I'd be willing to stick around here a while longer, maybe do a distance MLS program instead of moving to Washington.
  6. Summer filled with inner turmoil and indecision about where we would be this fall.
  7. Applied (for the fifth or sixth time) for a promotion at Job #1, and was reminded--just yesterday, in fact--of Plot Point #2 above.
  8. Decided after all to go to Seattle, where we will be ridiculously poor and possibly homeless, but in two years I'll be in a position to get a really good job.
Today I informed my supervisor at Job #2 that I will be leaving in a month. I dreaded having to tell her this, as I love Job #2 and hate to leave it and hate to abandon them after only three months there. She took it quite well, though, and even gave me advice on schooling and whatnot. I hope that by the time I leave I'll have done enough good that they won't totally regret hiring me.

And I hope that we can, like, eat in Seattle.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um, couldn't be more happy to hear that. Seriously. I was actually at the U of W Saturday taking a Praxis... the campus is awesome and the library is this amazing gothic looking building. (Have you been?) I'm so glad we're actually going to have friends up here soon...

Anonymous said...

Maybe we can help you move in? Maybe we can bring you some food from our garden?

That is a great stake and a wonderful institute. We lived just north of the UW for a few years then we moved a little south.

I am sure you will have left the best possible impression at job #2.

Very best wishes during this major change,
Bob Millward

Tolkien Boy said...

You can always eat what I don't eat. You know, like Ruth and Boaz. Except my name is a lot less cool than "Boaz" and I really doubt I'll have any extra.

TK said...

Sounds like this is another one of those "Jump. . . Don't look back" answers. You've prayed about it. You've got your answer. I'm sure it will be a great adventure - and the right choice.

And from reading the above comments, it sounds like you already have a welcoming party awaiting you.

PS: Don't forget to thank your head Librarian for helping God to make lemonade again. :)

Th. said...

.

Mmm.

Food.

Katria said...

I'm pretty sure they have food in Seattle. Pretty sure.


'Course, getting the food is a different matter. I could always mail you all my bread crusts. They might be moldy and stale by the time they got to you, but you could prolly still eat them.