Tuesday, March 04, 2008

The Burden of Fame

The following poster went up all over campus today:


Now everywhere I go people stop me and they're like, "Are you the guy from that poster?" And I respond sheepishly, "Yeah, that's me." And they're like "NO WAY!" And I'm like, "Yeah, it's really me." And they're like, "Whoa. You are so cool." And I'm like, "Thanks, but really I'm no cooler than you, it just seems that way because I'm famous." And they're like, "Can you do that pose, the one from the picture?" And I pretend to be all hesitant so they'll insist, and they do, and then I strike the pose, and then one of them will stand behind me and put a hand on my shoulder just like my friend on the poster while the other one takes a picture, and then they switch places so the other one can be in the photo with me, and then I let one of them strike the pose while I take the picture so they can go to their friends later and be like, "You know who took this picture? The Poster Guy himself." And their friends can be like, "NO WAY!" And they can be like, "Yeah, it's really him." And so on.

I guess now I know what it's like to be Ken Jennings.



NOTE: Some or all of the facts in the above story may have been made up to make it more interesting. Forgive me if they fail to do so. There's only so much you can do when your claim to fame is a poster.

9 comments:

Th. said...

.

Your disclaimer reminds me of something I just read.

TK said...

Who's Ken Jennings?

Mama said...

Who needs Jeopardy when you've got cool mask-y posters around town? You're so way cooler than Ken!

B.G. Christensen said...

Th.: Are you saying my disclaimer doesn't excuse the fact that I totally and blatantly lied? Jerk.

TK: Ken got famous a couple years ago when he set a record by winning 74 shows in a row on Jeopardy! He's also a very nice guy.

Mama: Well, there is the fact that getting famous on Jeopardy gets you lots and lots of money, whereas getting famous on a poster gets you... well... a poster.

Mama said...

Wear green tights on Jeopardy and perhaps you'll get mucho dinero AND be cool.

(Mucho dinero - That's my homage to your Spanish theater debut! I'm practically bilingual!)

JB said...

FUN!! You're so cool.

SenecaSis said...

At first glance, I thought I was looking at the son of Jack-In-The-Box and that you were having some kind of delusional crisis. Fortunately, I was able to click on the poster and get a better view.

Congratulations on your new found fame!

green mormon architect said...

Impressive – so how do we really know it’s you with that mask on – is it the mouth or the eyes?

B.G. Christensen said...

Mama: I'm muy impressed by your bilinguality.

JB: I'm not really a cool person, I just play one on stage.

Sis: I wouldn't rule out the delusional crisis yet.

GMA: The nose, of course.