Sunday, July 08, 2007

Transformers

I have to agree with this review (from my new favorite blog): the movie is good-looking but stupid. Not quite as stupid as I was expecting, though--my expectations were pretty low, so I was pleasantly surprised. The acting was actually decent, I thought, and most of the humor worked, and all of the action worked. My main problem was the dramatic moments, none of which worked. I just had a hard time caring whenever the cheesy music came on and someone tried to look all heroic and someone's girlfriend tried to say something poignant. I was also bothered somewhat by the look of the robots whenever they were in robot form; not that they didn't look exactly like they did in the cartoon, but that they were hard to distinguish from one another, which made some of the fight scenes hard to follow. But still, fun to watch. As is the case with many people I come across, I wouldn't want to have a long-term relationship with Transformers, but its nice to stare at it for a couple hours.

4 comments:

Mrs. Hass-Bark said...

One of my co-teachers saw it with a group of our students. He said he was getting old because he couldn't follow the fight scenes because of the special effects. Perhaps it was because the robots all look the same? At any rate, I'm glad that he took that group so I could take the Ocean's 13 group.

Braden said...

Forget the special effects--the cinematography alone made it hard to follow.

But yeah, I agree. Enjoyed watching it; enjoyed making fun of it afterward.

Sir Jupiter said...

Actual quote from me after the credits began to roll:

"I SMELL OSCAR!"

I think it was actually someone in front of us farting...

Melyngoch said...

Oh, come on. A mountain dew machine turned into an evil robot and fired mountain dew cans! That alone made this film among the most fulfilling experiences of my young life.

Also, I agree that all the dramatic moments were canned, but at least the ones surrounding the Autobots were canned in exactly the same factory that the entire cartoon was canned in the eighties. So I felt it was more homage than stupid, which is not, of course, to say it can't be both.