Monday, January 08, 2007

To All the Girls I've Loved Before
Part I

The first girl I liked was Pomai Kekuna, with whom I played during recess in kindergarten and first grade. It seems there was another girl or two in our little group, but Pomai is the one I remember. I can remember clearly what she looked like--brown hair, fair skin, and a pretty smile--but I don't remember much else about her. She might have been shy, possibly a good reader. I suspect the fact that I attached the word and meaning of liking to her had to do with the influence of my older sisters, who no doubt were amused by their baby brother having a girl friend. I remember having a conversation with one of my sisters in our car about whether I was going to marry Pomai, and picturing me and her as adults, lying in bed; I had no idea what married people did in bed, though, so don't worry--the mental image was G-rated. Nevertheless, I'd be rather embarrassed if Pomai, wherever she is, were to Google her name and find this post. But not embarrassed enough to give her a blogonym.

No comments: