Friday, September 01, 2006

Plan Q (pending credit approval)

As it turns out, Plan Q is not unlike Plans M or K, and not entirely removed from Plan A.

We are sticking with university housing, even though they don't have a place for us until October 5th. The nice lady at university housing, after my shameless plea for help, referred me to another apartment complex--and even called ahead to inform them of my situation--who would be willing to give me a one-month contract. This other complex is ridiculously expensive, but they are nice, close, willing to let us stay there for a month, and most importantly, willing to do this without meeting us in person. As soon as our credit check clears (and I can't imagine why it wouldn't, knock on electronic wood), we'll be able to sign a lease sometime next week and move in next Saturday.

I've got a reservation with UHaul, we've got some boxes to pack and more have been offered, I have a job and both Foxy and I have applied for several other promising jobs, Foxy and S-Boogie have plane tickets (LD doesn't need one), and my brother Svoid has kindly offered to drive up with me (my father-in-law regretfully unable to make it). We're really moving to Seattle. This is insane. Perhaps it will feel more real in a month or two.

I feel a little like we're regressing, as I thought we'd left student housing behind the first time I graduated and I thought I'd left school behind the second time I graduated. It's regression for a good purpose, though, and it can't really be regression when we're going to be in a different place and doing different things. I feel a bit of sadness at the thought of leaving the people and things I love here (I'll feel it more when I'm actually gone) and a bit of anxiety over the whole moving thing (I'll feel it more when I'm actually going), but the overwhelming feeling right now is excitement at the thought of new surroundings, new people, new adventures, and a new life. There's nothing wrong with the old one; I just like shiny new things.

7 comments:

JB said...

Best of luck with the credit check! And I hope your drive up is nice.

Tolkien Boy said...

I still don't see why you can't look for housing for you, your family, and me at the same time.

-L- said...

I like shiny new things too. Does the specially appointed "all chrome" apartment cost extra?

Desmama said...

I really have been thinking about y'all and hoping that things work out. Just moving is hard enough without wondering/worrying about accomodations at the other end. I think Seattle will suit you. I went there about a year ago for a very quick trip and wished I could've stayed longer.

Melyngoch said...

umm, mems to send me your address after you move,

TK said...

Good! It sounds like things are working out! (You knew they would; but it always feels better to know HOW!)

Th. said...

.

I like Plan Q.