Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Job Thoughts (Only Two)

1. This past summer, I had a hell of a time answering the phone correctly at each of my two jobs. Every time I'd pick up the phone I'd have to mentally review the options--"Library #1, this is Master Fob, how may I help you?" or "Library #2, this is Master Fob, how may I help you?"--and more than a few times my lips chose the wrong option. Now when I pick up a phone at work I first review those two options, then I remember that I'm supposed to say, "Libraries information, this is Master Fob, how may I help you?" because I'm at the information desk and it doesn't matter that I specify which library I'm at. On Friday, though, when I work at the reference desk, I'll have to add another option to my mental menu, and then in no time I'll be answering the phone at my new new job, and I'll probably just start picking up the receiver and saying, "What do you want?"

2. The nice thing about my new new job being at a very expensive store is that if I just assist with one or two transactions then I've helped the store make enough to pay me for a week. At the old new job, where I have helped exactly eleven people in the last five hours, and for the most part they just wanted to know where the bathroom was, it's much harder to measure my worth.

3 comments:

G'pa Bob said...

I am so glad that you have been able to get the jobs. I remember (1969) I had to have a second job for several months and got one through the state. A year later when I needed the second income the state worker just laughed.

Th. said...

.

Ah, but how much did it mean to the one starfish?

Melyngoch said...

Ah, but can you really put a price on knowing where the bathroom is? I think it's much more important than your automated titatnium corkscrew purchase.