Wednesday, October 25, 2006

De-Lovely

FoxyJ and I got a package from Amazon.com this morning. Inside was the soundtrack to De-Lovely, which we watched a couple weeks ago and fell in love with (well, the music at least--the movie is quite pretty darn good, but I don't know that we fell in love with it per se). De-Lovely is, we're pretty sure, the second movie we've seen recently in which we didn't know ahead of time that it was going to be about a gay man married to a straight woman. The problem is we can't remember what the other one was. It wasn't Far From Heaven, which we watched a couple months ago knowing it was about a married gay man (more about his wife, actually--the husband is quite the jerk, though the movie itself is extraordinarily well done), nor was it Another Country, which we also saw a couple months ago and is about gay men who aren't married (and is an okay movie). And no, it wasn't Brokeback Mountain. The publicity kind of sort of hinted that there might be a gay twist in that one. I don't think it was Saved (another very cool movie), which did manage to surprise us with its mixed-orientation relationship plot element (even though Tolkien Boy had told me about it previously, I didn't realize this was the movie he'd been talking about until halfway into it), because we watched Saved over a year ago now and the sense of deja vu we had when Kevin Kline told his bride-to-be that he likes boys more than girls seemed more recent than I'd associate with a movie we'd watched a year ago.

Any ideas?

5 comments:

Tolkien Boy said...

Um, In and Out?

I'd be surprised if you didn't know that was a gay-themed movie, but it does feature the scene you're mentioning, with Kevin Kline.

Anonymous said...

It could also be Maurice, with Hugh Grant. Or Home at the End of the World with Colin Farrell.

I did like Maurice, and would recommend it, but hated Home at the End of the World, so I wouldn't recommend that one if you haven't seen it. There is a bloody drug related death at the beginning that tainted the rest of the film for me.

Anonymous said...

I remember someone blogging about In and Out sometime in the past year because I remember either commenting or wanting to comment on the mic that was in and out of the top of the screen during the whole movie and drove me nuts.

B.G. Christensen said...

I'm pretty sure it wasn't In and Out, as we haven't seen that movie yet, but we do like their burgers and shakes.

Ditto on Maurice, which I know about because of E.M. Forster, and End of the World, which I've never heard of and apparently I'm not missing out.

Th. said...

.

No.