Monday, September 26, 2005

My First Review (sort of)

From the Association for Mormon Letters mailing list (which I've only been checking again recently to see if they're talking about me):

Date: 2005-09-24 20:01 -600
To: aml-list
Subject: Re: [AML] Double Standards in Homosexuality (was Review: COX, LatterDays)
Did y'all read the articles on this topic in the new Dialogue? First one is a personal memoir of surprising candor by a young man telling about his same-sex feelings and how he decided to get married anyway. Then two experts write a response, and the overall feel is that they don't think--the first one, anyway--his marriage will survive, because he's a 5 on the 1-6 straight-gay scale, and the first guy doesn't think anyone at 5 or 6 should marry hetero-ly, but if they're more middle-of-the-scale bisexual then they may have a decent shot at long-term success (well, it's not that simplistic, but that's the bottom line I took out of it). Then the young man writes a last piece.

Quite a provocative quartet of articles that overall raise your compassion, if you're able to get your hands on them. I snuggled with my wife within the hour after reading them, and I found myself wondering in extremis what it would be like for people that far right on the scale to try to make a hetero marriage work. The main literary tie-in here is the great honesty and well-wrought details--his find in the park is haunting--of the young man's memoir portion.

Hee hee.

5 comments:

B.G. Christensen said...

Not sure, by the way, whether it's more ethical, when quoting from an email list such as this, to include the author's name or leave it off.

I promise it wasn't me.

Cricket said...

See! Still no rocks!!!

Tolkien Boy said...

Congrats.

Th. said...

.

Nice review.

But it seems like just about everything you find in parks is haunting.

But again, nice review. I wish I was still on the list so I could plug it too.

(If anything else shows, post it too.)

eleka nahmen said...

Congrats on the review :) It's always kinda fun to see one's name in print.