Monday, September 05, 2005

Godless?

After reading a couple rather heavy (subject matter, not actual weight) nonfiction books, I decided to read something light and fun. Enter Godless by Pete Hautman, which is definitely light and fun, but manages to be heavy at the same time, as far as subject matter relating to pertinent issues of my life goes.

Godless is about Jay Bock, a teenager who founds a religion called The Church of the Ten-legged God. The Chutengodians or CTG for short. They worship a water tower. Makes sense, right? I mean, water is the source of all life. The way Jay sees it, all religion is BS so you might as well pick some random object and worship it. Some of his friends who join, though, take the church more seriously. So do the local police and religious folk, including Jay's dad.

It's a delightful read, with fascinating characters and cool stylistic elements, like excerpts from the Chutengodian bible at the beginning of each chapter. And it raises a lot of good questions.

I was particularly struck by a scene in which Jay talks with his father about religion:

My father sighed and sat back and said, "You think you're an atheist, then?"
"I'm not sure what I am."
He looked at me for a long time then. I think it was the longest time he has ever looked at me without saying anything. Finally, he spoke.
"I'm sorry to hear that, Jason."
"Why?"
"Because it means you've got a long, lonely road ahead of you."
"It's my road."
"You're right about that."

Now, I'm definitely not atheist. At the moment I'm sort of in the process of figuring out what I am, but I'd say I'm something more along the lines of a Christian agnostic. Nevertheless, it's lonely to believe (or not believe) something different from what the people you love believe (or don't believe).

I don't say it to whine. It's my road. I chose it.

Jay's father is a wise man.

4 comments:

Th. said...

.

All roads are lonely.

How lonely may be up to us.

(I suspect.)

Tolkien Boy said...

I think that th. is right.

So, choose something not so terribly lonely, okay?

svoid said...

You won't be completely lonely. I'll be Godless with you! In fact, you just made my Godless existance a little less lonely :)

The book sounds interesting. I ordered a copy from Amazon and will read it when I get back from Barcelona.

Anonymous said...

Well, we all know I'm not going to be friends with you if you go agnostic/atheist/pagan/heathen/blasphemer/Calvinist pre-damned/etc.