Monday, April 21, 2008

Blaxploiting!

In my volunteer cataloging job I am working on a donation collection of 8000 videos given to the library by some guy who is seriously into all kinds of film. Classics, Westerns, thrillers, romantic comedies, foreign films, old TV shows, erotica--you name it, he had it, and now we do. Among the things I do when cataloging a video is assign a genre heading from a list controlled by the Library of Congress. Every time I browse that list looking for the right heading, I pass by "Blaxploitation films" and look forward to the day when I can use it.

That day has come. The collection is organized alphabetically by title and I'm in the midst of the B's, which brings me to such great films as:

Black Caesar
Black Heat
Black Voodoo
and
Blackenstein.

The titles are subtle, I know, but using my amazing librarian skills I figured out that they are all examples of the Blaxploitation genre. The seventies must have been a crazy time to live.

Don't you wish you had my job? (Except, you know, for the fact that I don't get paid for it.)

4 comments:

FoxyJ said...

Looks like fun--they all get less than 3 stars on IMDB. Should we add them to our list of stuff to watch? :)

B.G. Christensen said...

Only after we see Black Notorious, Black Gentleman's Agreement, and Black Bishop's Wife. Oh wait, we already saw that last one. It has Denzel Washington as Cary Grant.

John Gustav-Wrathall said...

Have you ever seen the great satirical send off of blaxploitation films, I'm Gonna Git You Sucka?

You could use that as a guide to the genre, because they make a point of including every single blaxploitation stereotype there is.

My favorite scene is the one with the pimp walking down the street in his goldfish bowl shoes. Göran and I laugh until we cry every time we see that scene.

B.G. Christensen said...

I'm confused. Why isn't there a Black in the title? We'll have to check that out sometime.