Monday, July 10, 2006

Two Quick Reviews

(So I can update my "Books I've Read" list with links.)

Small Steps by Louis Sachar. The sort-of sequel to Holes, featuring Armpit and X-ray. Not quite as amazing as Holes, but still a good read. X-ray talks Armpit into getting into the scalping business, a situation that is complicated when Armpit meets and falls in love with the girl whose concerts he scalped. The fact that this book is largely about music and the music industry was a happy coincidence, as I am currently attempting to write a book that deals with similar themes.

The Sledding Hill by Chris Crutcher. Interestingly, I read this book about censorship so that we can discuss it next week in a staff meeting at Library #2, in which we will discuss whether "edgy" teen books should be in our collection. A good story about a teenage boy going up against censorship at his high school, as told by his dead best friend. The anti-censorship theme is a bit heavy-handed, even for me, but the appearance of Chris Crutcher himself in the story won me over, as I'm a sucker for metafiction.

1 comment:

Christian said...

I think you want to loan me The Sledding Hill.

Oh, and you also want me to borrow some of that Michael Franti music.