Sunday, July 23, 2006

Fobsvithing Hopefully

My brother-in-law reported today on his LDS mission to Russia. In his talk he cited a scripture from the Book of Mormon, Ether 12:4: "Wherefore, whoso believeth in God might with surety hope for a better world, yea, even a place at the right hand of God, which hope cometh of faith, maketh an anchor to the souls of men, which would make them sure and steadfast, always abounding in good works, being led to glorify God." Bilob then went on to say, "One of the reasons I wanted to serve a mission was--" and, based on my interpretation of the scripture I expected him to say something along the lines of so I could earn the right to be in a better world with God after I leave this one (i.e. being good gives me hope that I'll go to heaven). But he didn't say that. Instead, he said, "--so that I could help make this world better."

I appreciate his interpretation of the scripture. A responsible understanding of faith does not lead one to sit around and hope for a better world to come, but to hope for a better world and therefore work to make our world better.

2 comments:

Th. said...

.

That's very sound....very sound indeed.

Samantha said...

Don't you just love it when you hear some way start a phrase and you expect them to finish the same way, but instead the say something that isn't trite? Not that I've personally ever done it, but I appreciate it in others.