Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Boogie Day

Today I woke up slowly to a toddler lying in bed next to me, telling me she wants her bressik. No, she doesn't sleep with us, but when she gets up before we're ready to, which is often, she climbs into our bed. She always comes to my side because she's learned that Momma doesn't wake up to help her in.

Foxy actually did make it out of bed before I did this morning, but she had to get ready for the first day of the last class she'll ever take until she decides to get a PhD, so while she showered S-Boogie and I made pancakes. After bressik and a quick shower on my part, I finished getting the child ready and we went across the street to the library. There we picked up an episode of Veggie Tales, The Wizard of Oz on VHS so I can compare it to the book we just finished, and Superman: The Movie on DVD in preparation for Superman Returns, which comes out on June 30th and picks up where Superman II left off (ignoring III and IV). Then we picked out several picture books and went to laptime to learn about barnyard dancing and rhythm sticks.

Back home, we watched Veggie Tales because that is the first thing that one must do after checking out Veggie Tales, and then we read all the books we'd checked out. I decided this morning to actually sit next to S-Boogie and watch the show and read the books, rather than do my own thing while she watched and read, as I often do. FoxyJ got home from class bearing groceries and we had ham and cheese sandwiches with fruit for lunch. A bit more reading, and S-Boogie was down for a nap.

During naptime I wrote an email to one prospective employer and filled out an application with another (if you know of good part-time summer employment for English masters, let me know). This was interrupted only by a poopy diaper at 3. Tolkien Boy came over at 4 and S-Boogie woke up not long after that. While FoxyJ went to a meeting, TB, Boogie, and I walked to the park. While S-Boogie ran up the stairs and down the slides hand-in-hand with a random three-year-old girl, TB and I caught up after a week of not hanging out and several weeks before that of being in the same place at the same time frequently but never getting a chance to talk. When it was time for S-Boogie's new BFF to go home, we took that as our cue to walk back to the Fobcave, where TB danced with S-Boogie to Bruce Springsteen and I helped FoxyJ make a yummy BBQ chicken pizza for dinner. After dinner and Jeopardy!, S-Boogie went to bed and I lay down to read. I thought I might wink out for a few minutes, then continue reading, but instead I slept from 8:30 to 11:30, literally unable to wake myself.

On days like this I'm torn between frustration at not accomplishing anything measurable and a blissful awareness that, despite my protests, this is five cents from heaven.

Oh, and lest I fail to observe the Month o' Edgy, I should mention that this afternoon I emailed my fobbies, including Edgy, to remind them that we are fobbing tomorrow. Fob Thursdays make me happy and Edgy makes me happy, even though sometimes he calls me a twit.

8 comments:

Christian said...

:)

You are no longer a twit. Thank you for paying a brief, initial homage to the Month o' Edgy. You will be rewarded with blessings in heaven.

Anonymous said...

.

Me, I've had a hard time just fathoming how I, one person, could sufficiently celebrate the Month o' Edgy.

That Edgy--he's a demanding one!

I'm glad the rest of your day was so perfect.

(for some reason I can't log in, but I am Theric, king of all I survey.

Erin aka- absent-minded secretary said...

We all will just have to put Bunny wallpaper up on our blogs for the month of May.

And Edgy didn't really mean twit. He meant to say tweet, because it is Bird Day today and tweet sounds like sweet... which is nice. :)

Christian said...

Absent . . . Umm . . . No.

Tolkien Boy said...

At least he didn't call you a ninny. That would have been unbearable.

Cricket said...

sounds like a great day!! Forget being torn, just go with heaven...

Christian said...

Tolkers,

Ninny is a perfectly good and acceptable word. Sheesh.

editorgirl said...

I'm here because I was told to, but I have nothing to say, other than Master Fob wins. But then, he always wins.