Sunday, November 06, 2005

Blogging in My Head

I find myself lately writing blog posts in my head. As I help a difficult patron or teach a well-prepared class, I narrate the occasion as I intend to write it later on my blog. I always have many humorous and introspective things to say, and humorous and introspective ways to say them in. The problem is that, if I ever do write the post, I forget all those wonderful bits of blogging epiphany and end up with a much watered-down version of what all of you would surely find a life-changing post if it ever made it to the screen in its pure Adamic state.

And then sometimes I just plain forget to include all the parts of the story I set out to tell. Case in point:

I forgot to tell you the most amazing thing about the blog party. It was when Bawb pointed out that when S-Boogie says "brake" meaning "grape," she is switching the bilabial (b/p) and the velar (k/g), but she is preserving the voicedness of the initial consonant and the voicelessness of the second. There is logic to her babble!

If no one else appreciates this, I know Melyngoch will.

9 comments:

Th. said...

.

I appreciate both that and your pain.

When will I buy a recorder so that my brilliance may be captured when it is still fresh!

svoid said...

I find myself doing the same thing. It kind of bums me out sometimes though. It bothers me when I catch myself living my life for the sole purpose of having something interesting to write about rather than living my life for sake of life itself. It's not a feeling that is limited to blogging either. I've felt that way about photography as well.

Cricket said...

Svoid- Well said. I never thought of it that way though, so thanks for bummin me out too!

Fob- I do the same thing all day long. And ALWAYS ALWAYS forget my brilliant "post" once I actually get to the computer... big sigh

JB said...

I blog in my head too. It's so disappointing when you have something marvelous to say and then, it just doesn't come back to you when you're actually blogging.

Melyngoch said...

I appreciate it! S-Boogie is a veritable babbling genius.

Braden said...

Thanks, Master Fob. I was really excited to read this when 'Brozy showed me.

Braden said...

Not to imply that I wouldn't have read it shortly had she not done so.

Tolkien Boy said...

Welcome to my world. I've been keeping a running narrative in my brain since day one.

Char said...

I started saying some things into my "voice recorder" on my cell phone just to be able to keep 'em.. but it's totally not the same (in 1 min) as it would be in a real recorder, or even if I had my lap top right there with me...

I too.. feel you pain..