Sunday, October 02, 2005

Nappy Heads

S-Boogie is trying to tell us that she is no longer interested in afternoon naps. She does this by getting out of bed, lying behind the closed door, and kicking it. Putting her downn for a nap has become a two-hour process of going back in the room, rocking with her some more, then leaving her in bed and hoping not to hear any noises coming from her room. We often give up defeated. That will likely be the case this afternoon.

The thought of no more naps terrifies me. Monday and Wednesday afternoons while Foxy J is at school and S-Boogie is napping is when I write. If she stops napping I don't know when I'll write. I suppose she still does go to sleep at night before I do and wakes up in the morning after I do, but I'm generally not disciplined enough to write in the mornings or evenings. That's when I randomly roam the net, read people's blogs, and if I'm feeling particularly motivated I blog myself. But more importantly, if S-Boogie stops taking naps I fear Foxy J and I will lose our sanity. Don't get me wrong--she's a very loveable two-year-old. But ten hours a day between the two of us is about all we can handle of her high-energy loveability. The time she takes to sleep ensures that when she wakes up we'll be excited to see her.

Really, I fear that I'm too selfish to deal with a nap-free toddler.


P.S. She just stopped kicking the door, opened it, brought her blankie and ducky into our room, and said, "Hi."

6 comments:

Cricket said...

How much does she comprehend? This is the stage when I started trying "you don't have to sleep. No nap. But you do need to rest. Please stay in your bed until rest time is over. We'll come get you at that time. You may look at a book while you rest, but no playing."

It worked well cuz after about 1/2 an hour she was out!

Anonymous said...

I signed on to comment, but read Mandi's comment first, and it's basically what I was going to say. It could be her 'looking at books' time, but as Mandi said, chances are she'll get sleepy doing it, and if your lucky, actually fall asleep. If not, you at least have some quiet time.

Cicada said...

I'm so afraid of having children. I'm nervous to even get a dog because I'm sure that he'll take away from my writing time. Then again, I haven't written for a long, long time. Damn that TV! And decorating my house! And people who come over to visit! And blogging! And work! Damn it all!

(uhh... you don't have a problem with that word, do you? hope not... I guess you could always unlink me from your blog)

B.G. Christensen said...

I am offended by that word. Please never say "dog" on my blog again.

Th. said...

.

Dogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdogdog.

Tolkien Boy said...

Your mom says dog on my blog.

(I like the rhythm of that.)