Thursday, March 23, 2006

A Case of Mistaken Identity

For the last few months, I've been reading blogs via Mozilla Thunderbird's RSS feed. It's nice that I know when a blog I read has been updated without having to check several times a day, but I've noticed two things: I follow comments less, because to comment requires opening the link to the post in my browser, and since I'm not checking blogs several times a day I don't notice if other people are commenting; and sometimes I confuse whose blog I'm reading because the posts are all in the same place and aren't distinguished by the different templates that grace the actual blogs. I was confused the other day, for example, when Absent-minded Secretary, who lives in Pleasant Grove, Utah, had gone to California for a church meeting; then yesterday it threw me for a loop to learn that Mandi, who I had no idea was a poet, announced that she would be doing a reading at BYU; what really got me was this morning when Foxy J blogged about losing the power cord to her laptop, as she had not previously informed me that she had lost the cord, nor, for that matter, that we had a laptop. On the other hand, it's always amusing to hear from Th. about how things are going with his new husband, King Zippergut.

4 comments:

Christian said...

I'm with you on the comment issue. I use Net Newswire. When I first started with the RSS feed, I would flag those conversations where I wanted to follow the comment trail. However, I have since learned that all kinds of sites have RSS feeds, and so now I get home at the end of the day and have to ferret through 150 new posts, which means I don't follow comment threads. I could follow fewer blogs, but where's the fun in that?

Th. said...

.

I like tavelling from blog to blog. I feel sorry for the RSS-savvy among us.

Thirdmango said...

Ha Ha. I too have been using an RSS feed, mine is google reader, thus I comment a little less then I usually do. Too bad. :(

Kari said...

I can't say I have any idea what you're talking about with all your RSS feed this and Net Newswire that. Heck, I'm lucky to get blogs written, let alone read. And reading them through some other electronic device or site that I've never heard of or have any knowledge of??

(Though I do cheat on the housework at times and sit and have a blog-read-a-thon about every week or so. I love them. I love being friends with such smart and creative people. It makes me happy.)

I have to go clean the kitchen now.